Wednesday, August 27, 2008

DIY particle accelerators - not for the faint of heart

DIY house projects are one thing. DIY particle physics is something else entirely. The Journal of Instrumentation recently made available nearly full plans for the Large Hadron Collider -- a gigantic particle-smashing accelerator that will soon go online in Europe and which some people fear might be powerful enough to create miniature, Earth-annihilating black holes -- allowing anyone with "€6 billion, enough real estate to hold your 17-mile-long ring, [and] a staff of international geniuses" to build their very own 7 TeV accelerator. I suspect you might need some additional electrical work, too.

Of course, I can only imagine how this would go in my house:

[me, in the basement] "Drats."
[Brenda, upstairs] "Hon, what was that?"
[me] "Uh, nothing...I think I might have just triggered a black hole next to the washing machine."
[Owen, at the top of the stairs] "Daddy, I want to see!"
[me] "Um, that might not be such a good idea, kiddo."
[Brenda] "Owen, please stay up here with me; I don't want you getting sucked into extradimensional space."

Hit Gizmodo for more. Want to feel some truly geeky pain? Watch the RAP VIDEO that scientists at CERN (the research agency building the LHC) put together to explain what the collider does.

No comments: